
The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne is a really great book. Mostly he details examples of how he's shown love to God by showing love to His people, to everyone. I'm in the early stages of the book but I just read the part of how he contacted Mother Teresa on the phone [after receiving the sacred number from Mother Superior from the Bronx] and asked if he could help in Calcutta for a summer. I'm just really.. inspired by how young he is and how he's done so many great things. It makes me anxious as I sit around, trying to save money while unemployed by not driving places, making my own meals instead of buying, trying to contact the lady in charge of hiring, and waiting for college to begin on August 18. It feels like I'm waiting for something big to begin.
It makes me doubt if I should even pursue college [my dad's foot in my conscience always punts that notion out] when all I really want to do is go somewhere where I can help people out. I know that charity begins at home, and I'm trying to find opportunities around here but this is a fancy schmancy area. Poverty is still everywhere and just last night I recognized a man that I've seen at Feed My Sheep before, that Jim once bought lunch for; he was using the restroom at In N Out. I desperately wanted to buy him a meal. But I couldn't. When I was driving with friends to Venice [another pointless souvenir & polyester extravaganza franchise juxtaposed to abstract graffiti art on the West Coast] I saw a lady lying on the side walk. It took me a minute to realize she was on a sleeping mat with a sleeping bag scrunched up at the end. I wanted to bust out of the cramped van and help her out. But I couldn't. I'm tired of the "couldn't"s and want to make them into "so I did anyways."
Anyway, read The Irresistible Revolution.

1 comment:
I did read it, and I love that you're loving it. Look I used the right your. Anyway, it is a big step into the "so I did anyways" from the I couldn't or I can'ts. But that step is a beautiful, life-changing step. The Holy Spirit will continue to whisper in your ear every time your needed - will you listen? respond?
Post a Comment